Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Housing & Services » FAQs » Policies & Deadlines >

Policies & Deadlines
  1. What is the deadline to apply? [top]

    We recommend you apply as early as possible, so that you have enough time to apply for a visa, make travel arrangements, and arrive in time for orientation. We have recommended application deadlines to help you plan ahead.

    For all of our programs, we encourage you to apply as early as possible, so that you have enough time for application processing, obtaining your visa, and making travel and/or housing arrangements. It may take several weeks for you to receive your I-20.

    English Language and Pathways to UCR Programs

    We recommend you apply at least 60 days prior to the program start date.
    Applications are accepted until a program is full.

    Certificate, Diploma and Master's Pathways

    We recommend you apply 3-6 months before the program start date.
    Enrollment is limited and programs fill quickly, so apply as early as possible to assure your placement in the classes you want.

    *Courses, dates, fees and other expenses are subject to change without notice.

  2. When do I need to pay my program fees? [top]

    All program fees are due on or before the program start date. Review the payment methods information before you apply.

    Payment Methods

    UCR Extension accepts cash, checks, money orders, Visa, MasterCard and Discover.

    • If you are applying online, you should be prepared to pay with Visa, MasterCard or Discover only.
    • Credit card information is only accepted via fax, telephone (under $100), or surface mail.
    • If you submitting your application via surface mail or fax, you may enter your credit card information on the form.
    • If you are downloading the application as a file and completing the information on a computer to send us an e-mail attachment, do not enter any credit card information on the form.
    • Credit card charges under $100 may be accepted over the telephone.

    Classes may be canceled if minimum enrollment is not met. In this case, all fees are refundable. For more information, review our Refund Policy.

    *Courses, dates, fees and other expenses are subject to change without notice.

  3. Am I required to purchase health insurance through IEP? [top]

    Yes, you are required to purchase the UC Extension Student Injury and Sickness insurance plan, even if you have your own policy, for the duration of your studies.

    All UCR IEP students, regardless of visa status or program, must purchase the UC Extension Health Insurance.

    • Cost is currently $50 per week.
    • Coverage is mandatory for the duration of your program of study, and can be extended for the duration of Optional Practical Training (OPT).
    • U.S. citizens and permanent residents may be exempt, if they provide proof of insurance.

    For more information, please download the UCR Extension International Student Health Insurance Plan Summary or email 

  4. What if my English level is not high enough to take a Postgraduate, Master's Pathway, APP or UCP program yet? [top]

    Visit the individual program page. If you are applying to a UCR IEP program that requires advanced English, you should submit a TOEFL or TOEIC score when you apply for your program. Even though you may receive direct entry into a program with an official TOEFL score or equivalent, you will still be required to take an assessment test.

    If you do not have the minimum English skills for your program of choice, you may join an English language program until you have sufficient English skills for an advanced program.

  5. What if I decide I can't attend the program after all? Can I get a refund? [top]

    Program Fees:

    You may be eligible for a refund under the following conditions:

    Upon receipt of the following BEFORE the classes begin:

    • A written withdrawal request, and
    • The original I-20 issued by UCR IEP, if applicable.
    Full tuition refund.
    Withdraw and request refund before the end of the first day of registration. 50% tuition refund.
    After the first day of registration. No refund.
    Classes are cancelled due to insufficient enrollment. Full program fees refund.


    • Program application fees and housing placement fees are non-refundable.
    • Refund requests take six to eight weeks to be processed.
    • There is a 10% processing fee for each refund request, regardless of the amount.
    • If IEP cancels your program, you receive a full refund and there is no processing fee.

    International Village (IV) On-Campus Housing Fees:

    Review your contract. You may be eligible for a refund under the following conditions:

    Contracts that are less than 9 months. 50% of the remaining contract term will be deducted from refund.
    Contracts that are 9 months or more. Calculated based on daily rate plus one month charge at the monthly rate.


    • Regardless of your contract, an additional $75 administrative fee applies.
    • Balances less than $100 will not be refunded.

  6. If I am under the age of 18, can I still attend a UCR IEP program? [top]

    Yes, depending on the program. All of our programs have a minimum age requirement. If you are under 18, and you want to attend an English language program, your parent or legal guardian must give you permission to attend.

    UCR IEP requires the parent or legal guardian of any student under the age of 18 to sign a Parental Release Form. Students under the age of 18 years old are considered minors in the United States. To avoid delays in processing your program application, make sure you submit the Parental Release Form with the student's program application.

  7. What if I want to attend UCR as an undergraduate or graduate student? Can I just transfer there or do I have to apply? [top]

    Admission to International Education Programs does not constitute admission to the University of California degree programs. Contact the following offices for more info:

close [x]

Submit Feedback

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.

Add Supporting Files