Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Housing & Services » FAQs » Student Services >

Student Services
  1. Do I have to have a car? [top]

    You don't have to have a car, but Southern California is a car-friendly environment. If you decide you want to explore by car, a car rental is your best option.

    There are many rental agencies to choose from, but in generally you must:

    • Be at least 21-25 years old - age requirements depend on the company's policy.
    • Have a valid driver's license issued by your home country or an international driver's license.
    • Have a major credit card.

    The Office of Social and Cultural Activities can assist you in finding a car rental agency. Available agencies include:

  2. I don't want to rent a car. What are my options for public transportation in Riverside? [top]

    UCR Extension students can purchase a $25 bus pass (one-time fee) that will allow unlimited use of the Riverside Transit Agency (RTA) bus system for the length of their academic study.

    RTA is responsible for local bus service throughout the Riverside area:

    For more information, call 1-(951) 565-5002.

  3. What if I want to travel outside the Riverside area? What type of transportation is available? [top]

    If you don't want to rent a car, there are several options for train (rail) and bus travel.

    Greyhound Bus Lines

    Greyhound is a nationwide, long distance bus company. The local depot is located at 3911 University Ave. in Downtown Riverside.
    For reservations, or more information, call 1-(951) 686-2345.


    Metrolink is a safe, reliable and environmentally friendly commuting option that can take you from Riverside to destinations across Southern California. Destinations include, but are not limited to:

    • Orange County
    • San Diego County
    • Downtown Los Angeles (Union Station)

    For more information, call 1-(800) 371-5465 (within the United States).


    Amtrak is the nationwide, long-distance rail provider in the United States.
    Trains leave from the Riverside Downtown Station, as well as from Los Angeles' Union Station.

    For reservations, call (800) 872-7245 (within the United States).

    The Downtown Riverside Metrolink and Amtrak stations are both located at 4066 Vine Street in Riverside.

  4. I enjoy visiting the gym and working out. Do you have any place for me to exercise? [top]

    If you are interested in swimming, exercising or playing sports during your stay in California, you can purchase a membership with the UCR Student Recreation Center.

    When you join the UCR Recreation Center, you have access to:

    • Large weight room.
    • Aerobic training room (stationary bicycles, stair climbers, etc.).
    • Aerobic classes.
    • Ping-Pong (table tennis).
    • Intramural sports teams.
    • Squash / badminton / volleyball / racquetball / basketball courts.
    • Equipment for the above sports is available for checkout, free of charge, with your ID card (and current quarter sticker).

    Membership Rates & Hours

    • Get your membership at the UCR Recreation Center front desk, during their open hours.
    • Payment methods include: check, traveler's check, Visa, MasterCard, or cash.
    • Don't forget to take your ID with you (with a current quarter sticker). Memberships are only available to enrolled UCR students.

close [x]

Submit Feedback

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.

Add Supporting Files